Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Hong Long Deli & Pho

One of the more recent additions to the neighborhood is a pho restaurant in the Hung Long Asian Market plaza, uniquely named Deli & Pho.

Locations that primarily offer pho have a tendancy to have wonderfully terse menus, but Hung Long is unique within the class in that only offers one size bowl. It isn't listed as a large or small, as there is nothing to compare it to.

Pho: $5.00.

Pretty straightforward.

For your five dollars you can have one of 6 pho offerings, none of which (to the best of my memory, my notes are failing me) are vegetarian friendly.  They do have additional menu items including rice noodle dishes, and 4 vegetable stir fry options, all for about $6.50.

The environment inside is pleasant enough, with windows on two opposing sides providing an open airy feeling. Everything still has the shiny veneer of new construction as well, lending an extra bit of vibrance and cleanliness to the location and a giant mural of cranes gives you a pleasant sense of geography and ethnicity- regardless of how authentic or contrived it may be.

I ordered a pho tai nam, and a lemon soda. The broth was piping hot, which is quite uncommon in my pho experiences, but I wondered if this wasn't because it was the 4th of July, and I was the only person there. Perhaps they had to get it all going quickly to accomodate an unexpected customer.  In addition to the exceptionally high temperature, the broth was also incredibly full of parsley, more so than I've ever been served in a bowl of pho. That is where the superlatives end though. The requisite salad plate had a fair number of sprouts on it, but almost no basil; a shortage which is always disappointing should it ever occur.  In addition to the slim pickings for veggies, the broth was also quite thin.

It actually turned out to be fortuitous that I received a message during my meal and found out I needed to get supplies at the market and hurry home to prepare for some friends' soire that coming evening. I didn't feel bad at all ducking out early on what may have been one of the least interesting bowls of pho I've had.

I may go back on a normal busy lunch hour sometime, just to see if this incredibly lackluster bowl was more a function of the odd time I chose to visit, or if it is infact actually not worth bothering with when there are plenty of other solid offerings within walking distance.  They may have others in the neighborhood beat on price, but for me a two or three dollar savings isn't worth sacrificing for a good bowl of pho.

Hung Long Deli & Pho
9998 15th Ave SW

Pho Tai Nam
Lemon Soda
~$7.25


No comments:

Post a Comment